Tuesday, 28 February 2012
Sausage, cheese, eggs, served on a piece of tortilla and wrapped up in a cute to-go form. I present to you breakfast burrito cups.
It’s been a while since I made a breakfast cup creation. Over the long weekend, I made these breakfast burrito cups. I actually got the idea from one of my readers, Sandy, when she left a comment suggesting I try a burrito cup.
First I thought about regular burritos, but I wanted to incorporate an egg and regular burrito cups don’t usually have eggs. So then I thought to make breakfast burritos. I like sausages, cheese and eggs in mine. But you can add other ingredients as well.
It’s hard to see, but the bottom of the cup is made of a flour tortilla. The egg white of the whole egg helps bind the cup together. These are really easy to make and very tasty.
1 flour tortilla
4 precooked breakfast sausage links
4 tbsp shredded cheese
1. Preheat oven to 375F. Spray muffin pan molds.
2. Take flour tortilla and cut rounds slightly bigger than size of muffin molds. I used a biscuit cutter to make the indents and then used a knife to cut through. Line bottom of muffin molds with the tortilla rounds. The rounds should be slightly bigger than the bottom of the muffin molds (see above photo).
3. Slice precooked sausages into small pieces. I sliced mine about 1/3 inch thick. Add a few pieces of sausage to each cup, about 4 (this may vary depending on the size of your sausage pieces. Attempt to line up sausages so that they form a circle where the egg yolk can sit in the middle and hold the egg yolk stable. Sprinkle 1 tbsp of shredded cheese over sausages.
4. Crack an egg on top, carefully guiding the egg yolk to the middle which should be supported by sausages to help keep the egg yolk in place. Try to not place the entire amount of egg white in. I always leave a little out or else the egg white takes a long time to cook and your egg yolk might overcook.
5. Bake in preheated oven for about 18-20 minutes until egg whites are fully cooked and egg yolk reaches desired doneness.
Would you try this recipe? What is your favorite breakfast dish?