Thursday, 24 January 2013
This recipe idea came from DH. Earlier this month, he was putting away some leftover pizza and contemplated how it would taste deep fried. I managed to deter him of the idea of throwing an entire slice into the deep fryer. But it did get me thinking.
So I decided to make him his fried pizza, but in a much less messy form. I made pizza balls much like the baked pizza balls I’ve previously made, but instead of baking them, I fried them.
I wish they were prettier to look at but it’s hard to put much on the surface when you’re frying them. Taste-wise these were very similar to regular pizza balls, just a bit richer and the dough a little fluffier.
DH enjoyed them though and I think these would make a fun Game Day appetizer.
Fried Pizza Balls
- 1 can Pillsbury pizza dough
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup mini pepperoni
- Marinara sauce for dipping
1. Divide the pizza dough into about 14 roughly equal sized pieces. Take one of the dough pieces, flatten it, and put shredded cheese and some pepperoni in the middle. Pull the edges of the dough around the fillings and pinch closed. Repeat with the remaining dough pieces. Make sure douhg balls are pinched completely shut and try to smooth ball .
2. Heat oil on stove to medium high. Drop a few balls in at a time. Cook until brown, then flip balls over so they brown evenly on both sides. Remove and place on plate lined with paper towel to soak up some of the excess oil. Repeat until all balls are cooked. Serve immediately with a side of marinara sauce.