White Chili is one of my favorite winter time dishes. More like a stew than it's actual namesake implies, White Chili uses chicken broth mixed with an array of vegetables and seasonings to create a low-calorie hearty meal. This recipe always comes in handy around this time of year when we have a gallon-sized freezer bag full of leftover turkey in the fridge and you're tired of siding it with the rest of your Thanksgiving leftovers.
This recipe is a spin-off of The Dove's Nest
recipe, a quaint Antique store with a small, incredible restaurant tucked inside. This restaurant is located in historical Waxahachie, TX and is a local favorite 'round these parts. My Mom and Mimi have lunch there at least one Saturday a month, and if I'm at home, it's a guarantee that we will be lunching there. My parents are proud owners of their cookbook and this is a common dinner in our house. Here's our take on this delicious stew:What You Need:
What You Need to Do:
- 2 cups chopped cooked turkey
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 1/2 cups fresh chopped tomatoes
- 1 medium jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 2 cups chicken stock (best recipe in the world here)
- 1 (7oz) can chopped green chiles
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 cup (heaping) cilantro
- 1 (19-oz) can cannellini beans
- 1 (19-oz) black beans
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- a crunchy to top it off (I like tortilla chips or croutons)
Does this sound incredibly appetizing to you? How do you recycle your Thanksgiving leftovers?image source
- Heat the olive oil in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Add the onion. Saute for 3-5 minutes or until softened. Add the garlic. Cook for 1-2 minutes longer. Do not brown.
- Add the tomatoes and jalapeno. Cook until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add the chicken stock, green chilies, turkey, oregano, cumin, cilantro, beans, and lime juice. Cook until heated through, stirring frequently. Season with salt and pepper.
- Ladle the chili into serving bowls.
- Top with your crunch agent and sour cream and cheese (if desired).
- Prepare yourself for one of the greatest stews you've ever had.