So. You have a baguette, avocados, some sort of cheese, tomatoes, and salad dressing. What do you do?
Make what Betty Crocker calls a Rustic Vegetable Baguette! It's creamy, buttery, cheesy, and delicious. And not all that bad for you, really. There's a version of this recipe here
, but the original recipe I used adds the avocado and tomatoes after broiling the bread, which I actually prefer. And as usual, I've taken Betty's recipe as more of a suggestion and added a few of my own twists.
- 1-2 avocados
- 1 baguette
- some sort of cheddar cheese. I chose to use daiya dairy free cheddar style shreds. Not quite cheese, I know, but so good!
- garlic seasoning/salt and olive oil
- Betty recommends using Italian salad dressing, but I just used Amy's Goddess dressing, because it's what I had in my fridge at the time
- Set oven control to broil. Cut bread horizontally in half. Drizzle/spread dressing on cut side of top half of bread. Arrange cheese on bottom half.
- Place both halves on a cookie sheet. Broil with tops 4 to 6 inches from heat for 2-3 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bread is slightly brown
- In a bowl, mash avocados. To make this easier, add a little bit of olive oil, plus some garlic seasoning for taste.
- Slice the tomatoes
- Spread avocado over cheese, top with tomato slices, and finally bring the two pieces of bread together.
Same recipe, just with mozzarella cheese.
I honestly love this and probably would eat it all the time if I could. It's amazingly simple and fantastically delicious! And there's so much room for adding your own flair to suit your personal preferences - my friend used mozzarella cheese for hers and it turned out to be incredibly tasty.What's your favorite way to eat a baguette?