This post is my way of honoring all the spectacular Olympic athletes and their gracious hosts in London!
From what I gather, this is the “absolutely traditional version” of an adult British trifle. Its labeled as “adult” because it does not contain a jello layer and because the sponge is soaked in a fair amount of sherry.
1 packet single trifle sponge cake (or a ready-made pound cake)
1 pint english custard, made from Bird’s Custard Powder
1/2 pint whipping cream
1 (400 g) package frozen raspberries (better than fresh) 100 g jars strawberry jam
1 (400 g) can peach slices or 2 very ripe fresh peaches, skinned and sliced
1/4-1/2 pint cooking sherry
50 g sliced almonds, toasted
You can make your own custard or creme englaise from scratch if you’re unable to locate a specialty shop that sells Bird’s.
1. Slice the cake into slices measuring about 3 x 2 x 1/2 inches, or whatever is convenient, and spread each slice with a little strawberry jam.
2. Layer in a glass dish, leaving no significant gaps.
3. Pour sherry over to soak sponge.
4. Spread frozen raspberries over sponge, followed by sliced peaches.
5. Make up custard, cool slightly and pour over all.
6. Allow to cool in fridge.
7. When set, whip cream and layer on top of custard.
8. Chill for at least half an hour.
9. Toast the almonds and scatter over.
10. That's it, you're done, serve and enjoy!
What is your favorite moment from this year's summer Olympics?
Image Source 1