Thursday, 02 August 2012
Every culture or person knows some type of food that other people think it's just absurd or weird. I personally think people or cultures that eat goat brains, ants, bull penis, chicken gizzards, and etc are daring and not afraid to take risks.
I know there are some foods that I think is disgusting and would never, ever develop the guts to try them out. As for my culture and me, there are some foods I like to eat that people would consider "weird".
1. I grew up eating this traditional dim sum dish known as chicken feet. It's definitely one of my favorite dim sum dishes. A friend of mine once asked me if I eat chicken feet and I said yes and they thought I was crazy. Apparently, this friend told me he does not eat any type of feet from animals because they walk with it. It makes sense, but then it doesn't.
Anyhow, this type of chicken feet is typically deep fried and steamed first to make them puffy before being stewed and simmered in a sauce flavored with black fermented beans, bean paste, and sugar. This is what gives the chicken feet that sweetness.
2. Okay, here's another type of feet I like to eat. I grew up eating the savory pig feet that my mom makes best. It's a braised pig feet with bean curd stick and a lotus root.
The sauce that is traditionally braised with this gastronomical creation is bean paste, white sugar, and brown sugar which is what gives this dish it's brown-like color.
3. Beef tripe is another dim sum favorite of mine! I love the texture of beef tripe because it's smooth and chewy. It is typically served with chili peppers and soy sauce.
Another way it's served is in a stew with daikon. Tripe is an edible part from the stomach of various farm animals.
4. I love shrimp paste especially on fried rice and pork. It definitely requires an acquired taste because it has a strong taste and smell to it. A lot of people detest the smell of it as I detest durian for it's smell and looks too.
Shrimp paste is made from fermented ground shrimp mixed with salt. I know my boyfriend can't stand the smell or taste of it, but I absolutely love it!
5. I never thought I would like chicken gizzards, because just the word "gizzard" doesn't sound too appealing. The only reason I started to like it was because of my first Korean Barbecue Experience (future post coming up). Gizzard is really an organ found in the digestive tract of some animals.
I was curious as to what chicken gizzard tasted like, so I opted to grill it when my boyfriend, best friend, and I were having Korean barbecue for dinner. My boyfriend and friend didn't enjoy the texture of the chicken gizzard, but I did. It's quite chewy, but I love that crunchiness.
What weird foods do you like to eat?