Tuesday, 10 April 2012
Upon requests by some participants, Minoo prepared a menu of dips in the South Arm Community Kitchen. The recipes are just in time for the Easter celebration. We had a scrumptious pre-Easter meal of 2 types of dips, 2 types of homemade chips, a tuna salad and an apple cake.The first dip recipe is a Crab and Avocado Dip. This is great for entertaining and potluck. Minoo served this dip with some homemade baked tortilla chips and pita chips.
DirectionsWould you try this recipe? What do you think of the crab and avocado combination?
- 4 whole firm but ripe avocados (peeled, pitted and roughly chopped)
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chives
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 15 ounces artificial crabmeat (use fresh one if possible)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh basil
- 1 whole jalapeno chili (finely chopped)
1. Mash avocados in a mixing bowl.
2. Add sour cream.
3. Add 3 tablespoons of lemon juice and season with salt and pepper to taste and mix well.
4. Spoon avocado mixture evenly into the bottom of a clear glass serving bowl forming an even layer and smoothing the top.
5. In another mixing bowl, squeeze crab meat gently to exude any excess liquid if using fresh crab meat. Add chives to the crab meat.
6. Mix the crab meat with mayonnaise.
7. Add jalapeno peppers.
8. Add remaining 1 tablespoon of lemon juice to the crab mixture.
9. Mix in sliced basil and season with salt and pepper to taste.
10. Spoon the crab mixture over the avocado mixture forming a second even layer and smoothing the top.Cover and refrigerate the dip until ready to serve.