Sunday, 04 March 2012
Put on your pointy hat and light some candles, this year the world's most famous canned meat turns seventy five! Celebrate all that Spam has brought to the world by popping open your very own can and trying some of these Spam-tastic recipes.
Huevos Spam Cheros
- 2 T vegetable oil
- 6 corn tortillas
- 6 eggs
- 2 T butter
- 1 (12-ounce) can Spam, cut into 24 slices
- 2 c Queso Fresco cheese
In frying pan, heat oil. Quickly fry tortillas in hot oil. Pat dry with paper towels.
In same frying pan, fry eggs in butter over medium heat. Remove eggs from pan. Add Spam; fry until golden brown on both sides.
- Place 4 slices fried Spam on each tortilla; top with fried egg. Sprinkle with 1/3 cup cheese. Cover with salsa.
- 2 slices Spam
- 3 ounces cooked white rice, seasoned with furikake and toasted sesame seeds, if desired
- 1 T soy sauce
- 1 sheet nori
- In large skillet, cook Spam until lightly browned and crisp.
- Place 1/2 of rice into musubi press or small can. Place Spam on rice; drizzle with grill sauce or cooking sauce. Top with remaining rice; press down. Remove Spam and rice from musubi press.
- On work surface, lay nori shiny-side-down; top with Spam mixture. Wrap up. Cut each musubi in half. Slice each half diagonally into 2 pieces. Serve immediately.
Pizza Spam Bake
- 1 (16-ounce) package elbow macaroni
- 1 (12-ounce) can Spam, cubed
- 1 c Pepperoni, cubed
- 1 onion, chopped finely
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (16-ounce) jar pizza sauce
- 2 pinches salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 2 (8-ounce) packages shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 5 teaspoons grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
- Heat oven to 350ºF.
- Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain.
- In skillet, sauté Spam, pepperoni and onion in oil until lightly browned.
- In large bowl, combine macaroni, Spam mixture, pizza sauce, salt and pepper; mix well. Slowly stir in 3 cups mozzarella cheese.
- In casserole, place macaroni mixture; sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese and the Parmesan cheese. Bake 45 minutes.
recipes are adapted from www.spam.com
How will you celebrate Spam's Birthday?