Thursday, 10 November 2011
It's time to combine two marvelous marshmallow-based recipes to form one delicious treat: the Candied Yam Rice Krispies Treat.
What's not to love about this seasonal mash-up? Separately, both cereal treats and candied yam casseroles are delicious; both dishes rely on marshmallows for their sweet, signature taste. But the key to this combination is their contrasting crispy textures; when they come together, you're rewarded with a crispy-creamy-moist-and-chewy sort of marshmallow nirvana, sweetly spiced and perfect with hot chocolate or chai tea.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 4 cups miniature marshmallows
- 7 ounces (or about half a can) pureed yams
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- Generously grease a 9x13-inch pan on the bottom and sides. Set to the side.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter and brown sugar over medium heat.
- Once the butter is mostly melted, raise the heat to medium and add the mini marshmallows. Stir frequently until the marshmallows have melted into a marshmallow creme-type mass.
- Stir in the pureed yams and spices until evenly distributed.
- Remove from heat, and stir in the cereal. Stir until the cereal is evenly coated with the marshmallow-yam mixture. Turn out into your greased pan, and using either buttered hands or holding a piece of waxed paper, press the mixture into the pan so that it is firmly packed in (this will make the bars easier to slice and more dense and delicious later).
- Let the bars cool for several hours or until they have reached room temperature; slice into bars using a very sharp knife. To keep things from getting messy, keep a moist cloth nearby to clean the knife between cuts.