Wednesday, 05 October 2011
Many people drink green tea because they heard that its beneficial to the human body. But why? I always hear people telling me to drink green tea every day or to take a green tea supplement because it's good for you. I don't really know the reasons as to why green tea is great for our bodies, so I did some research and here's what I found.
1. Green tea is high in epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG). Try saying that 5 times fast. EGCG is an antioxidant that helps prevent many harmful diseases that can occur in the body. EGCG helps with cardiovascular health, lowering cholesterol and blood pressure. It also helps if you are trying to lose weight. The most common benefits of green tea and EGCG are used for treatment of cancer and many arthritis problems.
2. May aid in boosting the immune system.
3. Green tea contains antibacterial agents that help prevent tooth decay. They also destroy dental plaque, which can lead to numerous amounts of dental problems such as cavities.
4. Green tea can help maintain a healthy blood sugar level, which is good for diabetics.
5. Contains only 5-10% of the caffeine found in one cup of coffee.
6. Green tea is also used by many people as a relaxation tool. It's a calming agent that helps relieve many forms of stress .
Those are just some of the reasons as to why green tea is beneficial to our bodies. Green tea is a great and delicious way to ward off those annoying colds, stressful nights or more serious diseases. I also found out that green tea is sold in a variety of different flavors. Teavana (my favorite tea shop as mentioned here) has 18 different flavors of green tea from matcha japanese green tea to raspberry soiree green tea.
If you aren't much of a tea drinker but still want the benefits of green tea, try taking a green tea supplement. My sister takes a green tea supplement every day and she believes it's doing good for her body. I think I might try it out too.
What do you think about green tea?