Friday, 01 April 2011
Last week I picked up one of my favorite staple items at Whole Foods; beets. They work in so many different recipes whether its savory or sweet I can not seem to get enough of them! These are some of my favorite ways to prepare beets at home. *WARNING DO NOT THROW AWAY THE GREEN PART*
1. Baked in Tyler Florence's Beet Cakes with Sweet Greek Yogurt. This recipe uses beets as all natural food coloring.
2. Prepared raw in Jamie Oliver's Crunchy Raw Beetroot Salad with Feta and Pear.
(Beets are terrific served raw they have a great crunchy texture and natural sweetness on their own.)
3. Wrapped in pasta using this Beet Ravioli with Poppy Seed Butter recipe from Epicurious.
(I often leave out the poppy seeds and add fresh herbs to the butter.)
4. Simply Roasted Whole BeetsCook the beets whole (skin on) in a 350 degree oven until beets are tender. You can test them with the point of a knife, there should be no resistance. Once cooked the beets are very easy to peel and dice into bite size pieces. Dress the beets with a little olive oil, balsamic vinegar, honey (optional), and salt & pepper to taste. This cooking style enhances the beets natural sweetness and really creates a delicious side dish to any meal.
5. Do not throw away the greens! Bake the beet greens in Alton Brown's gratin recipe and you will not be disappointed.
What are your favorite ways to eat beets or beet greens? Do you have a favorite variety of beets that you most often buy? (candy stripe, yellow, red...)