Thursday, 24 February 2011
I've never really been a picky eater. But I'll admit, I am a bit judgmental of food's appearance. If it looks like it may have been excreted in some way, I'm somewhat reluctant to try it. However, I've often been surprised at how delicious some nasty-looking foods are. Here's some that have surprised me.
1. Refried beans: I used to be scared to eat this at Mexican restaurants because I thought it looked like cat barf. Now as an adult, I still think it looks like cat barf, but I've gotten over it. I love mixing it in with the rice they give you at Mexican places, and I frequently use it on homemade quesadillas.
2. Hummus: Similar to refried beans, hummus has the appearance of something unappetizing, perhaps baby food. I've learned to love with with warm pita bread.
3. Pulled pork: Although it looks like someone already chewed the meat and spit it back out, pulled pork is quite delicious on sandwiches.
4. Thousand Island dressing: The pinkish tint to this dressing kind of throws me off. Nevertheless, it's pretty good, especially with French fries or on reubens. Speaking of which...
5. Corned beef hash: My roommate introduced this to me this past year. It's kind of weird that it comes in a can, but you can also make it from scratch. Yes, it looks a bit like vomit, but once you get past the appearance it's delicious.
What other foods have a deceiving outward appearance?