Wednesday, 29 December 2010
I recently read an article by Jamie Wheeler on Intent.com about the ten kitchen gadgets no one should live without.
Now, I'm definitely still a novice in the kitchen - I've only just started collecting my share of essential gadgets, appliances, and cookbooks. However, after reading that list, I couldn't help but feel as if it didn't cover everything. I do agree with a few of the essentials on her list: whisks and KitchenAid mixer (or a good hand mixer if you can't afford a KitchenAid just yet), but there are so many more kitchen tools I just couldn't live without!
Here are 5 more kitchen must-haves I think should be added to the list:
1. Sharp Knives: Do yourself a favor and invest in a good-quality set of knives and keep them sharp. Nothing is worse than trying to slice meat or dice vegetables with dull knives!
2. LOTS of Mixing Bowls: When you're making a complicated recipe or cooking a feast, these store different ingredients and you won't have to stop cooking to hand-wash a bowl. These can also double as serving bowls for entertaining!
3. A Good Cheese Grater: Get the kind with different sizes so you can use it for grating, slicing or even zesting fruit. Get a higher quality one and it will last you years (I learned my lesson: my dollar-store one broke in half while I was using it)!
4. Pyrex Measuring Cups: They come in lots of sizes, from small to huge and can hold a lot of liquid or dry ingredients. Also, since they're made of heavy-duty Pyrex, they can withstand high heat, so you can pour boiling liquid right into them.
5. Non-Stick Pan: This is another item if you invest well in and take extra-special care of, it will last for years. Plus, the non-stick coatings allow you to cook with less fat!
What are your kitchen must-haves?