Tuesday, 09 March 2010
Stuffed Green Peppers are one of my favorite foods. You can make them many different ways, adding what you like and can please everyone (as long as they like green pepper, of course!) I am a vegetarian, and eat a lot of veggies. I'm posting airing on the side of generic, but add whatever you like! I wish I'd known how easy and cheap it was to make these in college, I would have made them all the time. They look small, but are very filling. I have a hard time finishing one.
Recipe: Stuffed Green Peppers
Makes about 2-3 stuffed peppers, depending on the size.
- 2-4 tbs olive oil
- 4 on the vine tomatoes
- 1 tube or can of tomato paste
- 1-2 cups of brown rice (you can use white too, but brown tastes better with this dish)
- 1/2 an onion
- Firm tofu or 1lbs ground meat-pork, turkey, or beef (I've made them many ways as none of my family members are vegetarian)
- 1 clove of garlic
- Fresh herbs like oregano, parsley and thyme (using dried Itallian blend flakes is fine too)
- Shredded parmesan or mozzarella cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- If you are using minute rice, then you can cook it the same time you cook the tofu or meat. If you are using regular rice, start it first.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Cut up the tomato into chunks, and place in a deep frying pan with the olive oil. Let them cook for a few minutes on medium-low heat. Get a bowl and mix tomato paste with water (adding a little at a time) until it looks like pasta sauce (you can taste it, but because there is no salt or seasonings it won't taste that great). Pour the sauce into the pan with the cooked tomatoes and stir. Increase the heat to medium high. Mince the garlic and onion and add them to the sauce. Also add the the herbs and salt-as much or as little as you like (Remember to taste test! Pasta sauce is incredibly easy to make once you do it a couple times). Reduce the heat and let it simmer.
- Get a pot and fill it with water, bring to a boil. Get a pan and use a little olive oil if you are using tofu so it doesn't stick. Brown the tofu. If you use ground meat, brown it and drain the fat. Add the tofu or meat and rice to the sauce stir and continue to let it simmer.
- Take the peppers (hint! Try and find ones at the store with even bottoms so they'll "stand" when you bake them) and cut off the tops remove the insides and wash the peppers. Boil them in the pot for 5 minutes. Drain them. Get a cookie sheet and place the green peppers on it. Fill them with the tomato/rice mixture and bake for 30-45 minutes. Take them out of the oven, and sprinkle some shredded parmesan or mozzarella cheese on top. Enjoy!