I've heard a lot of people tell me that you aren't supposed to wash mushrooms under water because they soak up all the water and it alters the taste. I've always been told that you're supposed to clean mushrooms by just brushing off the clinging dirt particles.
But I just can't get myself past the idea of eating an unwashed vegetable. Mushrooms grow in the soil and with farmers putting in fertilizer to promote their growth I can't help but think they just HAVE to be rinsed before eating. I don't care if it alters the taste a little bit I just need my vegetables clean before cooking them!
Apparently a book called The Curious Cook: More Kitchen Science & Lore
by Harold McGee
has an experiment which he did with washing mushrooms. He soaked 252 grams of mushrooms for about 5 minutes to see how much moisture they would absorb. Once he weighed them after removing them from the water he found that they had soaked up just a mere six grams of water.
I don't see why chefs would make such a big deal about rinsing mushrooms under water if it just makes that much of a difference. And that moisture increase was noted after SOAKING them for 5 minutes. When I say rinse it means pouring water onto the mushrooms for a minute so the dirt particles can be washed away.
Do you wash your mushrooms before eating or cooking them